Monday, May 16, 2011

Chicago

Ryan and I went to Chicago 2 weeks ago because he took his oral boards for general surgery on May 2nd. We arrived late Thursday night before his exam because he was taking a prep course on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Heather and I tagged along for moral support and also because one of my best friends from high school, Eskai, lives in a suburb of Chicago. While Ryan was occupied with his course I visited with Eskai and her family all weekend! It was great. On Friday we went to a local chocolate festival!
Me and Eskai

Heather pulling herself up to the front of the stroller so she can stand.

Trying to capture a sweet picture in front of some beautiful tulips. Their tulips and daffodils are blooming this time of year in Chicago, so it was a beautiful site.

On Saturday, it was just Eskai, Heather, and me and we went shopping at IKEA and the mall.
While at IKEA, Heather fell asleep in the stroller and we decided to eat lunch there hoping that she would stay asleep through lunch and catch a good nap. Instead, as soon as we parked the stroller beside the table and stopped the constant motion her eyes popped open and she only ended up taking a short nap. So, I took her out of the stroller and was holding her. I knew I smelled something funny and figured she had a dirty diaper, but I wanted to finish eating my lunch and then I would change her. Well, as I was entertaining her and moving her around Eskai noticed that she had a blow out through the back of her onesie and then we found some on my shirt and.. there was also some on the stroller.... and Heather's sweater. This was the most massive blowout any of my children have ever had and of course it would happen while at a store on vacation. Luckily, I had packed a fresh change of clothes for Heather and a t-shirt for me in her diaper bag! (ladies, I always recommend keeping a t-shirt in the diaper bag for you because this is actually the 3rd time I have had to use it. Both of the previous times were due to throw up and spit up) And thankfully, IKEA had a huge family/nursing room that we were able to take advantage of and clean ourselves up! At least, we could laugh about it later. Eskai was so sweet to even take home our clothes and wash them for me, so I would still have a back up set in case it happened again.

On Sunday, I met up with her family again to have some famous Chicago style deep dish pizza. It is a backwards pizza. They start off with cheese on bottom then sauce then toppings. It was very good, but filling.

Here is a picture of Sarai (Eskai's 4 year old), Eskai, Me, and Heather.

Then Ryan, Heather, and I headed to downtown Chicago where Ryan would be taking his exam the next day.
After Ryan's exam, we decided to take advantage of 1 1/2 days to tour the city. First we went to the Chicago Art Institute.
We saw some amazing very famous art works.

After that we walked around and saw The Bean (Cloud's Gate), a stainless steel structure and Buckingham fountain.






The next day we headed out to the Field and History museum and that took up most of the day.

That night we hired a babysitter for Heather and treated ourselves to a fancy dinner.
Moto restaurant in Chicago was a memorable dining experince. It was unlike anything I have ever had before. It is called molecular gastronomy. Molecular gastronomy seeks to investigate and explain the chemical reasons behind the transformation of ingredients, as well as the social, artistic and technical components of culinary and gastronomic phenomena in general. Here is just a few highlights from our 10 course dinner.



Ahi tuna served with lime juice saki foam made into a snowman with Hawaiian salt crystals and pink peppercorns for buttons.


The forest floor with a truffle cream topped with green bread crumbs and dehydrated mushrooms, green and white asparagus, and cauliflower.

Cracker Jacks - Quail roasted in cola sauce served with powdered popcorn and candied peanuts then a sweet cherry flavored surprise.


Warm blue cheese sauce served with chamomile bubbles and candied hazelnuts.


Violet soda served in a flask with cardamom leaf and orange and vanilla packing peanut.

While on our trip, Heather started crawling on all fours and experimenting with funny faces.

When we arrived back in Longview, one of the first things Brooke wanted to do was see Heather. At first sight they both we all smiles and Brooke held Heather's hand. It melted my heart!


Of course while I was shopping, I had to find something for Brooke. She loves Nemo and recently fell in love with Mickey Mouse, so we went to the Disney store and I found some stuffed animals. She instantly fell in love with them and they quickly became a part of her crib essentials.



1 comment:

  1. Great idea about packing an extra shirt for Mom!

    And poor Ryan...but I heard he passed! They did away with oral boards two years before I was supposed to take them. Yea!

    ReplyDelete