Monday, July 20, 2009

Galveston!

This past weekend we went to Galveston for my birthday. I wanted to get out of town and do something, so we decided to visit Galveston. We had not been back since Hurricane Ike. It has changed some. Most places are remodeling and back in business, but some are just a hopeless cause. All of the oak trees along the esplanade down Broadway are all dead and need to be cut down. It will majorly adjust the scenery along that historic road, so unfortunate. We arrived on Friday night and met up with Ryan's brother, Jonathan and his wife, Stacy. We went out to eat at Sonny's, which is a hometown seafood/American bar. Ryan actually got a scholarship for medical school from the owner of this restaurant and we got to visit with him for a few minutes. On Saturday, Brooke was up bright and early so I decided to take her and enjoy a few minutes of the sunrise and the peaceful ocean before the crowds. I really miss taking early morning jogs along the seawall. It was always so quiet and relaxing. Then after that we went back to the condo and ate cereal and joined Stacy at the beach some more relaxing in the sun. Brooke doesn't really know what to think of the ocean yet, but I took her in the ocean for a little while. The she took a nap on a towel on the beach. After that we went to lunch at The Sunflower Bakery, another hometown cooking restaurant near UTMB. It has moved down a block and is now three times the size of its old store. It was still delicious as usual. Then we headed over to Moody Gardens The Aquarium. Brooke enjoyed watching the fish and followed them along in their tanks. It was fun to watch her reactions. Meanwhile, the boys went on a guided fishing trip in the bay. They caught 9 trout and one sheepshead for eating and each caught 2 hammerhead sharks, scary! That evening we met up with my good friend from pharmacy school, Kelli and her family in Kemah. She has a 9 month old, Kolby, who is cute as a button. I am glad I finally got to meet him. We had a lot of fun visiting at dinner. On Sunday, we took some pictures of Brooke in the ocean and shopped on the Strand and then ate at Fisherman's Wharf before heading back home. It was a fun filled weekend and I am glad I had a wonderful weekend birthday. Enjoy the pics from our trip!


Me and Kelli with our babies



Brooke watching the fish

Shark and sea turtle at Moody Gardens

I love my baby girl!

Smile for the camera

Brooke playing in the water.

Stacy and Jonathan

Brooke reading Water, Water Everywhere at the beach.

Gulf of Mexico from our balcony in the morning


Sunrise from our balcony

I miss running on beautiful mornings in Galveston


The hurricane water line in the Strand

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful pictures! It looks like you guys had a wonderful trip! I'm so glad you got to do something so fun for your birthday! I miss you!
    Kyla

    ReplyDelete