I know I said I would be posting more recipes! Things just got preoccupied with school starting and Heather's birthday that I had put blogging on hold. I did try two new recipes this week and they turned out great!!
First is fried catfish. I don't usually fry stuff at home, but I thought this recipe sounded good so I figured I would give it a try and Ryan said it is the best fried catfish he has ever had! I think a lot of the flavor was from marinating the fish in a brine of salt and chalula for 3 hrs prior to frying.
Ingredients:
3 tbsp plus 3/4 tsp of kosher salt, divided
3 tbsp hot pepper sauce
6 catfish fillets
1 1/2 cup white cornmeal
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups vegetable oil
Prep:
Whisk 3 tbsp salt, hot pepper sauce and 8 cups of hot water in large bowl until salt dissolves. Chill until cold again. (I just used warm water and placed frozen catfish in it and it was thawed by the time I was ready to cook) Place catfish in brine, cover, and refrigerate for 3 hours.
Whisk cornmeal plus next 5 ingredients and 3/4 tsp salt in medium bowl. Add oil to cast iron skillet. Heat until 335 degrees F.
Rinse catfish and pat dry. Dredge in cornmeal mixture, shake off excess. Work with 2 fillets at a time. Fry catfish turning halfway through, until golden brown and crispy, 10-12 minutes per batch. Transfer fish to drip station (I used a baking rack for cooling cookies on top of paper towels to catch drippings).
The next new recipe is a breakfast casserole. We were having breakfast for dinner tonight and I've been wanting to try out a breakfast casserole that I signed up to take to my next MOPS meeting. I found the recipe off of pinterest.
It turned out really good and even Brooke liked it!
Here is a link to the recipe:
http://www.meals.com/recipe/potato-bacon-casserole-29566
Sorry, I forgot to take any pictures of these recipes, but trust me they were delicious!
No comments:
Post a Comment