Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Food

Ever since I have become a full time stay at home mom, I have become more interested in cooking. I have started watching more cooking shows and trying out more recipes. I have decided to add a weekly recipe blog. I usually try out one or two new recipes a week. Some of them are duds and some of them are good. This is one way I can keep track of them.

For this week I have two recipes: Crab cakes and 4th of July rice crispy sparklers.

Crab Cakes (adapted from a recipe on my Epicurious app on the iphone)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup onion thinly sliced
1 jalapeno thinly sliced (actually I just processed the onion and jalapeno in the food processor)
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
1 lb lump crabmeat
1 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp thinly sliced chives
salt/pepper to taste
vegetable oil for frying

Prep:
Whisk first 7 ingredients together then fold in crab. Stir 3/4 cup panko, chives, salt and pepper.  Divide into 4-6 equal portions and form into 1" thick patties. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.

Heat enough oil to cover heavy bottomed pan. Place remaining panko crumbs on plate and coat cakes. Fry until golden brown (about 3 minutes/side). Enjoy! We served them with roasted corn.

This was an excellent dinner. Brooke loved it and ate every bite of her crab cakes. I was really impressed that she enjoyed it because she is usually very cautious when it comes to trying something new. Next time I make this I'm actually going to add another jalapeno because you could not even taste any spice with just one. It really didn't take that long to cook, maybe 30 minutes total including prep. This is definitely a keeper recipe! I don't have any pictures of this recipe! I forgot! Now that I am going to blog about food, I will try to remember to take pictures.

4th of July rice crispy sparklers:

I got this recipe from pinterest. We had our HOA celebration tonight and I thought this would be a perfect dessert for the kids.

First, I made rice crispy treats using the traditional recipe printed on the box and then used a star shaped cookie cutter to make my star shapes.


 Next I washed and sliced a package of strawberries and washed the blueberries.




Then I skewered a strawberry followed by 3 blueberries and topped with a rice crispy treat. Then I tied a ribbon below the strawberry to keep the fruit from slipping when the pop was upright. I used a lollipop as my skewer, however, I don't think I will do this in the future because the moisture from the fruit was absorbed by the lollipop and it didn't look pretty once the fruit was eaten. 


 Once all the skewers were done, I stuck them in some styrofoam that was covered with cute fabric. They turned out great. I think they should be kept refrigerated until serving, otherwise the treats start to fall off.


They turned out cute and were a hit at the party.

I hope y'all enjoy my recipes. Leave me a comment if you like them and/or have tried them!

No comments:

Post a Comment