One of the reasons I haven't blogged much is because my time lately has been taken up by projects. I have been busy with several projects. I will share a couple of my recent completed ones.

Jonathan and Stacy got an idea to build a frame for the girls playhouse as a Christmas present. Originally we were thinking about using fabric to cover the frame, but it just didn't play out well in my head. After a few days of thought and looking at all the left over boxes from Christmas, I came up with an idea for the roof. Just use cut up cardboard and glue cut up strips of sturdy felt for shingles. That brought me here:


Then I didn't know what to do about the sides. On a trip to the hobby store for more felt, I spotted some foam boards and the light in my head came on again! I can zip strip these to the frame for walls! As this was not a foreseen idea, I didn't measure the sides and just picked up as many foam boards as I would think I would need. When I got to the cash register, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that these foam boards were discontinued and shouldn't have been on the floor to sell, but it was their store policy to give them to me for free since I had already selected them! Let me tell you, I walked out of that store with 16 free foam boards! I felt like I was being watched every step of the way to my car and I kept on waiting for someone to chase after me and tell me to return them! I later learned at another store they cost around $6/board. I feel sort of like a thief, but legal. It turns out, I only needed eight to complete the sides.
Next, I had to figure out what to do about the door and what to cover the triangle area above the door. I let my mind stew over this for a few days. I was in walmart for something else and I thought of looking at the kitchen curtains. I thought they would be the perfect length. It turns out I was right and at $7 they were the perfect price. I also bought a matching valence in hopes that it would drape nicely around the top to fill in that triangle area.
So, this is where I was now:

Now for embellishing the design! I used green card stock to cut out grass and stickers to make flowers, butterflies, and lady bugs.

We even used the cut out squares from the windows to make stars for the inside ceiling.


Here is the final playhouse.
Project #2:
Pinterest idea
Brooke's valentine card

I got this idea off of pinterest. I like the illusion of her holding the sucker. This was hard to get the picture right (it is hard to get an almost 3 yr old to position her hand just right), but once I did it was a very easy project.
Wow girl, awesome job!! I'm so impressed by your continued craftiness - and doing it all with such low cost! What a fun mom you are!
ReplyDeleteYou need to post the finished product on pintrrest! ;-)
ReplyDelete