Monday, September 12, 2011

The joys of parenthood

I used to consider myself lucky and thankful that I never had a baby that played with their poop and made a huge mess in the process. Well, today was my pay day!

I was on the phone in our bedroom when I heard one of the girls crying. I turned on Heather's monitor and it wasn't her. I got extremely worried that something was terribly wrong with Brooke because she doesn't cry when she wakes up from a nap. Oh, my mother instinct was totally correct this time! I could smell the stench before I even opened the door to her room and I knew something was terribly wrong.

Since we have been working on potty training, I have decided to make her wear big girl panites full time during the day. During nap time I have been putting her potty right next to her nap mat, so when she wakes up she can go potty. She has been really successful the past 3 days doing this.

Today when I opened the door to her room the stench was so strong that I immediately felt like vomiting. I looked at Brooke and was in such shock that I didn't know what to do first. She was covered in poop and had clearly been finger painting her body with it! It was in her hair, nose, hands, arms, legs, torso, feet. She was crying and I felt bad, so I didn't scold her. I just assured her we would get her clean.

I picked her up and put her in the bath. While the hot water was filling the bath, I cleaned up the mess around her potty, thankfully she didn't paint anything else except her and the potty. As I was cleaning her up, she had dried up the tears and I asked her what happened. She kind of gleefully talked about playing with her poop. It took me by surprise because seemed to be distraught when I walked in the room. I didn't know how to handle it, but I just talked to her about how yucky it was to do that and we need to flush poop down the potty so he can be with his other friends! I hope the talk and disgusted look on my face as I cleaned her had an impact and that she will never do that again! Then after I gave her 3 baths, I felt like she was clean and not a biohazard anymore. Then I cleaned out the tub and filled it with clorox and threw away all the toys that she had touched. I just can't stomach the thought of keeping a bath toy after thinking that feces possibly touched it and then Heather putting it in her mouth. YUCK!

Then I told her she still needed some quiet time, so that I could go and shower!
So, if anyone needs last minute gift ideas for Heather, they need a whole new tub full of bath toys!

I no longer consider myself lucky. Pay backs a witch!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Carrie! What a mess! Your version of the story does make me laugh a little, but only in a sympathetic way. ;) I love how you told her the poop needs to go down the potty to be with his other friends - totally makes me giggle to think about all these little poop buddies. hahaha

    Glad you guys are all clean now! :)

    -Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry! Sounds like you handled it extremely well. Reminds me of the time he pooped in the tub...water + poop = big, stinky mess!!! As I cleaned, I discovered it in the faucet, in the duck covering the faucet, and between his toes. I should've never run to get the phone that time!

    ReplyDelete