Friday, August 22, 2014

Welcome Caleb!!

My one and only belly picture!

 Caleb, our 3rd baby and first boy, arrived March 21, 2014. We are so excited and happy he is a healthy growing boy! There were some big unexpected surprises on his birthday. I should start off by saying none of my deliveries have gone as I expected. With Brooke, I didn't know what to expect (since she was my first) just had an idea of what my prenatal classes and books told me. Thankfully there were no big surprises. With Heather, it was completely opposite of Brooke and I went into labor so fast that I didn't even have time to get an epidural. I thought that same scenario may happen with Caleb so I was prepared a few weeks in advance for his arrival. I had set a date of induction just a couple of days before my actual due date thinking that I wouldn't even make it that far, but if I did then I'd be ready to have the baby. Well, he didn't come early like we thought. So Ryan and I headed to the hospital the morning of March 21 and I was going to be induced. It was a very weird feeling checking in to the hospital since I wasn't in active labor, but believe me I was ready to meet my little man!

Just got the pitocin started and waiting on Dr. Hutcheson to arrive.

We got settled in my L&D room and the nurse got my pitocin started and everything was running according to plan, so far. Once Dr. Hutcheson came and checked me out, she felt that something wasn't right and wanted to get an ultra sound to check everything out. It turned out that Caleb was breech. More specifically frank breech, which is where their feet are above their head and they are folded in half. We had no idea that he was breech and probably for the whole 3rd trimester because I never felt him flip!! And in the 17 week sono, he was in that same position, but we never had any other reason to repeat a sono during my pregnancy so I never had another one. I was still thinking that there was a possibility I could deliver him naturally and asked what my options were. I didn't want to have surgery. (Who does?) I was afraid of the actual surgery and the recovery. I knew what recovery from a natural delivery was like. Dr. H said that her and another doctor could try flipping him. My success rate would be fairly high since he's my 3rd baby and my uterus is stretched out. Dr. Hutcheson had to leave to clear out her clinic and get Dr. Morton on board to help. They got an epidural started and stopped the pitocin. After 3 long excruciating hours and lots of prayers for a healthy delivery, the doctors came back in and tried flipping Caleb. It was really strange having 3 women push with all their might to flip Caleb and all I could feel was pressure. My stomach muscles were very bruised from this event. First they tried turning him to the right. After they got him sideways they put the ultrasound probe back on my stomach and immediately noticed that his heart had stopped and the cord was wrapped around his neck. After letting him go back to the breech position, his vitals returned to normal. Then they tried very quickly to flip him to the left, but his vitals dropped again and decided that he was in too much distress and they had to get him out via c-section. This is not the way I wanted his delivery to go, but I ultimately wanted a healthy baby boy and I would do anything to have that!! Thankfully there was a whole anesthesia/OR staff on hand and waiting to take me back to get him out! It all happened very quickly.

I do remember the surgery, but didn't feel anything and that is a very surreal feeling! I kept trying to look at the reflection in the mirrored edges of the light to get a glimpse, but I couldn't see anything. I was just so happy to hear a healthy cry when he got out.
In the OR waiting to meet Caleb.
 Caleb weighed 7lbs 4 oz and was 21 inches long. He came out screaming and with his legs right up by his head.


Welcome Caleb George Pevey! Born 3/21/14 @ 1:16pm
Daddy bringing him to me for the first time!

Our first meeting!

So sweet!

I look extremely drugged out!

Afterwards, I couldn't stop smiling! He was so perfect! It was such a blessing in disguise that he waited until my induction date because if I had gone into natural delivery it would have been very difficult on him and we might have had more major complications!
Our family of 5! So blessed! (The girls are not distracted by the TV at all...)

Nana and Poppy meeting Caleb for the first time.

Big Mama meeting Caleb.

G-Dad meeting Caleb and he even got a smile!

Aunt Stacy, Uncle Nonga, and Jason meeting Caleb.
Peaceful

Getting ready to head home! I look so handsome!


Finally home!

Beautiful flowers my parents and Ryan's office got me.

The door hanger that I made all completed.

Big sisters admiring their new brother.

Dimple!!

So sweet! Great Granny meeting Caleb for the first time!

Such a good helper.

So excited to hold Caleb.

Finally get to meet my other cousin, Hannah. Sorry I was in the nursery when you came to the hospital.

Perfect blessings!


1 comment:

  1. Oh love love this! What a perfect addition to your beautiful family! You definitely have some memorable deliveries don't you?! So thankful all went well and that you are enjoying this sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete